Thursday 8 December 2011

First Scene Furniture - Kitchen - Kitchen Cupboards

For my kitchen cupboards I decided the easiest way for me to achieve this was to start with a simple box which had 6 width sections and 3 height sections. I then converted this box to an editable poly. I selected certain vertices on the front viewport and moved them around till I had made two door shapes. From here I then selected the two big polygons which would be the centre of each door and used the bevel feature and set the outline to 0. This would make the door look like there was panels around the outside.

Now that I had my doors created, I went about the gap between the doors to show that they were seperate and not one big door. For this I selcted the middle edge in the front viewport between both doors and applied chamfer with 2 outlines which created an edge either side of the original.


I then selected the new polygons between my doors and beveled these which gave the impression of the gap between the doors.

Next I went to: http://www.logsplitters.com/Wood.html and found a nice kitchen cupboard wood texture I could apply. I went into photoshop and made a copy of the original image. I then rotated it 180 degrees so that it was below the original image. I found that the grains did not match so I applied a flip horizontal tool to this and this then matched up the grains.

Like I had done for the door stage of my materials I applied two seperate IDs and made the inner cupboard doors and gap between the doors a different colour to the created texture to provide colour of depth. Below is a screenshot of how it looked.

Now that I was happy with how my cupboard was looking I went about the work surface and for this I selected the front edges ontop of the cupboard and applied a chamfer. I increased the amount of sections to 10 and this provided a nice curve like you find on some kitchen work surfaces.


Now that I had done this I could apply a worktop texture and for this I found this texture: http://www.getfreeimage.com/image/373/black-marble-texture. In my material editor I chose the box next to diffuse and selected bitmap, and imported my image.

After playing with the specular levels and glossiness I added this to my already made sub-object material layer and changed the polygon IDs to 4. I also created handles for my doors using a 2 cylinders. I made one longer than the other as this would act as the handle, the other would attach to the door. I cloned this cylinder and applied one to the top half and the other the bottom of the handle. I then cloned this to give me two handles. I aligned them to the cupboard does and attached them. I gave these the ID of 3 and created a dark grey material.

This is how my kitchens cupboards look rendered.


In the kitchen you have a sink so I decided that I would use my original cupboard and add a built in sink to this. I selected the middle polygons and arranged the vertices so that it created a nice even square shape in the centre of the worktop. I then used the bevel feature to create a hole in the workspace.


I then changed the material for this by applying a dark grey and applied chamfer to some of the edges. I then attached the taps I created earlier from my toilet sink to this model. This is how it looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment